Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Counseling

For three days at the medical clinics in Dharmapuri, I worked in the prayer and counseling area. After the patients had gone through to see the doctors and receive medicine at the pharmacy, they would have the opportunity to be prayed for and counseled. Almost all of the patients were eager to be prayed for. India is an extremely religious society - it reminds me a lot of how I understand the New Testament time period to be. Religion was an assumed part of society - the issue wasn't whether you worshipped God, but which gods you worshipped. India is very similar. In fact, may people are very interested in worshipping Jesus, but they do so as a part of their Hindu practice. They do not understand the unique revelation of Jesus Christ. So this means they are extremely grateful to be prayed for in the name of Jesus, especially by a Westerner.

Counseling was not an easy task. It's hard to know how much to share with people, how to pray for them, and working through translation makes it more complicated. But it was incredible just to sit across from them and look into their eyes. They seemed to love being looked at and really connected with. When I prayed for them, I usually touched their shoulders or legs and this affected them powerfully. Most of the patients are Dalits, from the lowest caste, and many are ill. They are not used to being touched by anyone. It was really a privilege to know that just by touching them and praying for them, I could provide great encouragement. Especially since most of the time, I felt way over my head, praying desperately for God to give me words to say.

These patients' stories are incredible. Their lives are so different, many of them have little hope and face desperate circumstances. But there were also similarities: loneliness, frustration with family relationships, hopes and dreams for their children, and a desire to connect with someone. I don't have time to share all their stories, but I'll share a few that impacted me deeply.

M was a sweet older woman. She had six children and her husband had died 30 years ago. She spent her time watching her four grandchildren. She had come to the medical clinic complaining of body pain. She said she knew Jesus and worshipped him, but couldn't come to church because she was busy with her grandchildren. The church had a children's program only before service. She told me if she tried to make her grandsons sit through church, they would wander and end up knocking the outdoor tent over. I told her I certainly understood that.

R also believes in Jesus and came to the medical clinic complaining of bleeding gums. Six months ago her husband died, leaving her alone with her 5 children. She said that she believes in Jesus, but this probably means that she considers him to be one of the many gods that she worships. She asked me to pray for her loneliness. She said she felt like one hand - alone and useless.


K came to the clinic on Monday complaining of vision problems. He was a farmer 2 km away from the medical camp, in fact, he pointed to his fields in the distance. The local church was helping his family with education and school supplies. But when I asked about Jesus, he said he was convinced there was no god. For fifteen minutes, we had a great conversation about why he didn't believe in God and why I did. I told him that I wouldn't be in India if God weren't real. He was a fiesty older man and I really enjoyed talking to him. His stubborn refusal to believe in God was a welcome change from the more common acceptance of any and every god. Even after our in-depth debate, he gratefully received prayer for himself and his family.

 
P was probably my most exciting connection. He came to the clinic on Sunday afternoon for the first time and I spent some time talking with him and sharing with him from John 14. He was a tailor, but wasn't working because of body pain and having to take care of his four children. He also asked for prayer because he had borrowed a sum of money and wasn't sure how he could pay it back. I prayed for him and said goodbye. But then he returned on Monday. He wanted to hear more about Jesus and receive more prayer. This time I shared with him from John 6. He was excited to hear more about Jesus and said that he believed in him. In fact, he shared that in 1997 he has been healed at a Christian hospital and had believed in Jesus, but had forgotten that faith. This time, he said he wouldn't forget and committed to attending the church. He responded with excitement when I asked if he wanted a Bible and when I handed it to him, it fell open to John 6 in his lap. My translator and I were excited to think that God had given him this chapter for him to read more about and reflect on - the same one that I had shared from. It was really joyful to pray with him. As he left he asked if I would be here next year. We'll see…
All in all, counseling people was a great privilege. Just hearing their stories and finding out a little about their lives was great. I gradually felt more comfortable during our times and began to feel that God was really moving in powerful ways. I'm so glad I got to interact with people in this way. How else would I really know what their lives are like? How cool to see God at work in India

No comments:

Post a Comment